Friday, March 27, 2009

positive thinking!

Sorry I've not been writing. I was lost and way too occupied on my inspiration-seeking journey to gather idea(s) for a feature article lately and now that I got it, I'm back!

I don't know if it's just me but I've been feeling a sense of gloominess around town area ever since the recession kicks in. Did you get that too?

Ever since news of a looming recession begins, I have been curbing my inner shopaholic persona and refraining myself from stepping into any one of my favorite stores such as Warehouse, french connection and Massimo Dutti to prevent me from buying anything.

Being a typical female (I just strike out 'girl' after much thought, thanks to those questionnaires which keep reminding me of my age); who is also a victim of consumerism; and a stickler of the 'right' combination of clothes and shoes, this obviously would not work out entirely.

This happened on the day I arranged to meet my friend in town for dinner.

At Wisma Atria shopping centre: 'Okay, here's Warehouse. Don't look Adele, keep walking. Oh no, I saw this cool jacket on the mannequin at bebe. No, don't enter. Just walk straight and you'll be fine. Oh, Nine West's having a sale! So, you have lots of shoes! You'll survive!" Wisma safe. Obstacle one cleared.

Straight and into Takashimaya shopping centre: 'No, that Guess blouse will not suit you so don't look. Yes, Calvin Klein and DKNY are having a sale, but that's none of your business. Gosh, the color of that pair of Armani jeans is just what I'm looking for so long! Okay, no. It's not on sale, so you can wait for it to go on sale right?' Level two cleared. For now.

Then, as I headed towards Kinokuniya bookstore, I passed by this recently-opened boutique - Juicy Couture. 'Aww.. That dress is gorgeous!' And with that, I finally could not resist the temptation but to enter this forbidden enclosure.

Luckily, that gorgeous dress (about $600) and the cute denim shorts ($310) were too pricey for a student like me to splurge on, especially in bad times like now. 'Luckily', in the sense that I will not spend anything at all in the end! Ha ha!

In an attempt to cut costs and save more, I even traded my usual dose of Starbucks double-shot espresso frappuccino with caramel drizzle for kopitiam's $0.80 coffee :( and bring along a bottle of water instead of buying those bottled / canned / packets of water (they can be unhealthy too) whenever I go out.

But what can I say? All that's important is I'm alive, healthy enough to sit down here and whine about it, and not bankrupt right?

Like what Domenico Dolce of Dolce & Gabbana said,

"The worst times can be the best if you think with positive energy."

Like what the Japanese loved to say with their cute accent, "Positive thinkin'!"

No comments:

Post a Comment