Wednesday, May 20, 2009

tech versus me

The earphones are defective again. My third one this year. Since last year, I've changed a total of seven earphones. I've tried earphones from various labels, but all of them just gave up on me somehow at the end of the few months I had used them. Everyone seems to have the same old one with them that lasts as long as their iPod, all except me.

It's been almost two weeks since the 'demise' of my last pair of earphones, with its left side exposing two mini red wires and a sticker labeled 'HQ 1814'. I'm so fed-up that I'm temporarily boycotting earphones for now.

Which is why my iTouch is pretty lonely these days. I still carry it along in my bag out of habit, but I didn't touch it at all. I used it as a device to read the ibooks, play games, organize my schedule and listen to music. And even though I could still use it for most of its functions, I didn't bother to charge it. It just doesn't feel the same without the earphones.

That leads to the fact that I repel technology. While most people would have no difficulties sending files via email from their mobile phones, I need to find different positions for my mobile phone to gather the strongest signal in order to send. For all the attempts at it, I succeed only once. After close to two hours of sheer stubborn determination. And I realized only after sending that I could actually use its memory card to upload the files.

Just the other day, I nearly call my Internet Service Provider to tell them about what I think of their poor-quality modem. I had switched everything on as usual, and when I clicked my Mozilla Internet icon, this notification of disconnected server popped up.

Thinking that I might have missed some steps, I switched everything off and on again. Same thing happened. So I tried every single thing just to get connected. And you might have already guessed it, all to no avail. I called my boyfriend for help. Being a tech-geek himself, he patiently go through all the precise steps to check and repair it. I, on the other line, was going to erupt soon.

I was exhausted from working the whole day till 11 pm.; the suppliers and customers were not exactly nice to me; and the last thing I needed was a faulty Internet connection, especially one that still refused to work after you spent two long hours to repair it.

And nothing changed after going through these measures. That was the last straw. I started crying and venting it out on my unsuspecting boyfriend. When I tried to go online the next day, everything worked just fine, as if all the troubles I went through the night before didn't exist.

Know what I mean? I hate technology, I repel technology, and yet I can't live without technology. I used to think that unlike the Digital Natives that most of you probably are, I'm one of those rare few cavemen who can live free from technology without a hitch. Ha ha fat chance. I had already caused all hell to break loose on that night I could not use the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment